Friday 21 November 2014

Lights and reflections

After a long tiring day consisting of walks around the BHU campus, I thought ill be too exhausted to move by the time evening comes. But I had heard so much about Dev Dipawali festival that even though every part of my body was howling with pain, I couldn’t get myself to miss it. We reached the ghats at around 5 PM and believe you me, the ghats were no longer the ghats. the transformation was hundred time as drastic as those makeover shows that air on television. I didn’t know where to look, it was a 360 degree view of plain beauty. Every single surface, every step, every elevation, every slope was covered in oil diyas. It was as if the Gods themselves had come to adorn the place with light, like a huge sheet of twinkling yellow stars had swooped down from the skies to cover the ghats.


Every ghat had its own charm. The temples were covered with fairy lights that shimmied with the beat of the music. And oh the music! It was honey singh meets lord shiva with a dash of bhangra beats. Doesn’t sound appealing but somehow, it all fit in perfectly together. And the number of people that were present in that one place, wow. It was as if someone had picked up all the people in this world and just put them together in that one place. The thought of entering that solid block of humans seemed impossible. And i would not even have bothered doing so if I wasn’t dying to experience dev dipawali in its rawest, truest form. People rubbing shoulders, some intentionally, some not, people pushing, pulling and people being thrown away to the side by the great, robust crowd. All this should have and usually would have scared me but somehow, Varanasi had just taken out all the negativity in me. And to think I didn’t even take a dip in the Ganga, imagine if I had done that.. 
Photograph by Rwit Ghosh

Anyway, so I pushed and struggled my way through the charging, angry crowd while also appreciating and marvelling at the sheer, untainted beauty of the ghats and lights. The river was another story altogether. the millions of diyas on the ghats reflected light on the gently lapping water of the Ganga, making it look like there were gold swirls on a black surface. Everything was so breathtakingly beautiful and bright that even the usually fantastic moon that hung low over the river shone a little less brightly than usual. The lights had taken over and consumed the city. and at that moment, I was happy. I wanted nothing else, I felt like this is what life should be about, staring at something that takes your breath away and wanting nothing else, doing nothing else.

Dev Dipawali brought people together, it brought ideas together, it brought thoughts together. One festival, one night that made so many happy. Diwali has always been my favourite festival, the lights, the smell of crackers, the food, the happy faces, everything just brings a flush to my face. But this was different, there were no exchange of gifts, there were no pretentious pleasantries, no unwanted hugs. It was you and the lights and the togetherness of people as people. It wasn’t family relation that tied the people of Varanasi together that night, it was the ghats, the city, the belief, the celebration. And that is what dev dipawali was all about.

1 comment: